By Tracy Cabrera
Accusing President Rodrigo Duterte of pretending not to know there is a peace negotiating process, the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) has rejected the chief executive’s demand for a draft peace agreement, adding it will not submit its own version of the draft.
In a statement posted on the NDFP website last week, NDFP political consultant and exiled communist leader Jose Maria Sison argued that both the NDF and GPH panels “had already made their respective drafts of the comprehensive agreements on social and economic reforms (CASER) and on political and constitutional reforms (CAPCR) and had made substantial progress in reconciling their drafts of CASER” even before President Duterte suspended the peace talks in June.
“He pretends not to know that there is a negotiating process or he is so drugged by fentanyl that he does not really know it,” Sison alleged in pointing out that Duterte just proved his fear of government’ forces staging a coup d’etat against him.
Last Thursday, November 22, Duterte said that once the NDFP submits its version of the peace deal, he would ask the military and police officials to review it for his approval.
“Give me the final draft and if I like it, I’ll pass it on to the military and the police. Sasabihin ko sa kanila, ‘Is this all right with you?’ Kasi kung hindi naman tanggapin ng military, police, i-coup d’etat ka naman. Anak ng jueteng,” the former Davao City mayor said in a speech in Cavite.
Early this month, NDF chief negotiator Fidel Agcaoili said he would return to the Philippines with his colleague, Luis Jalandoni, supposedly to have a dialogue with President Duterte. However, the plan was aborted due to Duterte’s alleged disinterest to face them and because of the threat of arrest.
“Duterte is simply joking, stupid or crazy’ for raising such demand,” Agcaoili said in a statement.