NBI: No Marcos order to arrest Bato

The National Bureau of Investigation on Thursday backed President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s statement that no directive had been issued to arrest Senator Ronald dela Rosa following the tense incident inside the Senate complex on Wednesday night.

Speaking during a Malacañang press briefing, NBI Director Melvin Matibag said the government opted against enforcing any arrest due to a pending case before the Supreme Court involving the senator, who is facing an arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity linked to the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign.

“Mayroong pending na kaso sa Supreme Court, and the strict instruction is huwag arestuhin, and at the same time, ang gusto po ng atin pong pamahalaan ay i-maintain na iyong peace and order, mataas na po masyado iyon po bang pagtatalu-talo, pag-aaway-away ng iba’t ibang grupo,” Matibag said.

Also present during the briefing were Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. and Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro.

Earlier in the day, Matibag and Nartatez met with President Marcos before the Chief Executive traveled to Pampanga for official engagements, including the rollout of the Bawat Bayan Makikinabang initiative and a hospital visit in Clark.

Matibag said authorities were still validating reports that Dela Rosa had already departed from the Senate premises. The senator had reportedly remained out of public view for the past six months before reappearing during Monday’s Senate session.

Meanwhile, investigators are continuing their probe into the commotion triggered by gunshots fired inside the Senate compound Wednesday evening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *