Comelec open to aid Ombudsman vs. Marcoleta

The Commission on Elections said it is prepared to coordinate with the Office of the Ombudsman following reports that plunder and bribery charges may be filed against Rodante Marcoleta over alleged campaign donation irregularities in the 2025 elections.

“Comelec is ready to help and coordinate with Ombudsman” once requested, Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said in a statement on Saturday.

Garcia, however, clarified that the poll body’s motu proprio investigation involving the senator had already been dismissed earlier this year.

“With regards to the revival of the case, Comelec has not yet considered it,” Garcia said, noting that the commission has yet to receive any Motion for Reconsideration.

The statement came after reports surfaced that the Ombudsman recommended the filing of plunder and bribery complaints against Marcoleta for allegedly receiving PHP75 million in campaign contributions during the May 2025 elections.

In March, the Comelec terminated its investigation into supposed discrepancies in the senator’s Statement of Contributions and Expenditures (SOCE) for the 2025 polls.

A resolution issued by the Commission en banc said investigators found no proof that Marcoleta committed any election offense.

Despite clearing the senator, the poll body directed its Law Department to investigate three contributors who allegedly failed to submit their Reports of Contributions within the required period after the elections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *