Monday , 17 August 2026

Prosecutors to oppose Sara bid to quash threat case

Government prosecutors are preparing to challenge Vice President Sara Duterte’s bid to dismiss the grave threats case filed against her, with the Department of Justice set to submit its formal comment to the Quezon City Regional Trial Court.

Chief State Prosecutor Richard Anthony Fadullon said Thursday that prosecutors are awaiting the RTC’s formal order giving them five days to respond to Duterte’s motion to quash.

The defense has asked the court to dismiss the charges on jurisdictional grounds. Duterte’s lawyer, Paul Lim, confirmed that the motion had been filed but declined to discuss its contents, citing the rule that matters pending before the court are sub judice.

Fadullon said the prosecution will file its response as soon as it receives the court order, after which the RTC will determine whether to grant or reject the defense motion.

The case stems from Duterte’s online statement in November last year that she had arranged for assassins to kill President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos, and then-House Speaker Martin Romualdez if she herself were killed.

The DOJ subsequently filed grave threats charges against the Vice President before the Quezon City RTC.

Fadullon emphasized that the criminal case before the RTC is separate from the impeachment proceedings involving Duterte.

He said prosecutors would leave it to the trial court to determine whether the charges can proceed despite Duterte being an impeachable public official.

The prosecution’s response will be filed before the court rules on the motion to quash, making the RTC’s resolution the next major step in determining whether the grave threats case will move forward.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *