‘Don’t politicize Senate security incident’ – Hontiveros

Senator Risa Hontiveros on Thursday pushed back against attempts to link minority senators to the controversy surrounding the reported Senate security breach and efforts to arrest Senator Ronald dela Rosa, saying the issue should not be used for political narratives.

Hontiveros said Senate employees, minority lawmakers, and their staff had already left the Senate complex when the reported shooting incident occurred on the night of May 13.

She noted that the Senate session had already ended by that time, prompting staff and lawmakers to leave the premises, while she herself had flown to the province for a scheduled engagement.

“Wag naman nilang gamitin sa pamumulitika ang pag-uwi ng ating Senate employees, who are doing an honest day’s work,” she said.

A Senate Secretariat source earlier confirmed that Dela Rosa left the Senate complex around 2:30 a.m., hours after the reported incident, while security officials were still awaiting guidance on an official statement from Senate leadership.

Hontiveros expressed concern over the incident, saying it damaged public confidence in the institution.

“Unfortunately, the Senate, The People’s House, the hallowed space where laws are made and rights are defended, was turned into a shooting range. That is desecration, not just of our walls, but of the trust placed in that institution,” she said.

She also urged Dela Rosa to cooperate with authorities regarding the warrant being served against him, stressing the need to prevent further tension inside and outside the chamber.

“We need to get to the bottom of this. The Filipino people deserve a full, independent, and unobstructed accounting. Walang takipan,” Hontiveros said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *