Suspect arrested in Senate shooting

The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday confirmed the arrest of a man linked to Wednesday night’s shooting incident inside the Senate building in Pasay City.

PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Randulf Tuaño identified the suspect as alias “Mel Oragon,” 44, a native of Camarines Norte, who was found in possession of ammunition and magazines during his arrest.

“He was caught, in his possession, what we call live ammunition of M15 and magazine and based on that he was inquested and will be charged with at least five cases,” Tuaño said.

Authorities said Oragon’s possible ties to the National Bureau of Investigation are still being verified, with officials refusing to confirm reports of his alleged employment pending further investigation.

“Confirmed ‘yung pangalan niya. As to his alleged employment, ang sinasabi nga natin, within the day maglalabas ang PNP ng official na pahayag kaugnay ng kanyang kaugnayan niya sa ibang ahensya,” he added.

The PNP said its intelligence and investigation units have been ordered to conduct a full background check on the suspect as investigators continue to piece together the sequence of events.

Authorities also recovered spent shells, magazines, and personal belongings from the scene, though the identity of the actual shooter has not yet been confirmed.

Tuaño said at least 10 individuals are now being tracked in connection with the incident, noting that the suspect may not have acted alone.

“Sa initial report natin, hindi lang naman nag-iisa yung indibidwal na nahuli. Diumano hindi bababa sa 10 na indibidwal ‘yung nakita nila,” he said.

Investigators are also preparing paraffin tests on all individuals present at the scene, including personnel from the Senate Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms, the Police Security and Protection Group, and the Philippine Marines, to determine possible gunshot residue.

“Lahat ng mga indibidwal na nandoon… sa OSAA, sa Marines at sa PSPG,” Tuaño said.

The PSPG had been part of the official security deployment inside and around the Senate complex.

Meanwhile, PNP chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. ordered tighter security following a separate incident involving an attack on the vehicle of Senator Vicente Sotto III amid escalating political tensions.

Nartatez said the police force is reviewing CCTV footage and body camera recordings to identify lapses and possible criminal liability.

“We acknowledge the concerns raised by Senator Tito Sotto. The Philippine National Police maintains a zero-tolerance policy for any form of violence or harassment, especially against our public servants,” he said.

Authorities said they are also validating reports that the disturbance was linked to heightened tensions surrounding the International Criminal Court case involving Senator Ronald dela Rosa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *