By Tracy Cabrera MALATE, Manila — When an active-duty officer like Colonel Audie A. Mongao publicly withdraws personal support for President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., the concern is not freedom of expression—it is the position being taken, according to civic groups led by Dr. Jose Antonio Goitia. The chairman emeritus of the Alyansa ng Bantay sa Kapayapaan at Demokrasya (ABKD), People’s …
Read More »Rice prices to stay stable despite lean season
The Department of Agriculture (DA) last week allayed fears of a spike in rice prices, assuring the public that both imported and locally produced rice will remain stable even as the country enters the lean months. Speaking at a press conference, DA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Arnel de Mesa said there is no expected surge in retail prices, citing a strong …
Read More »Marcos admin to build more food hubs nationwide with P215-B budget
The Department of Agriculture (DA) is set to roll out more food hubs nationwide this year to give farmers and cooperatives direct access to wholesale buyers and consumers, lower distribution costs, and ease long-standing logistical bottlenecks. During a Palace press briefing on Thursday, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. credited President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., along with the Senate and …
Read More »BBM flies to UAE today on working visit
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. leaves for the United Arab Emirates today for a working visit, Malacañang announced on Thursday. President Marcos’ visit is upon the invitation of UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. The Chief Executive will participate in the Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week, slated from January 11 to 15, where leaders from government, business, and society …
Read More »ICC rejects Duterte bid for new health report
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has denied a request by former president Rodrigo Duterte’s legal team for an additional expert report on his health and cognitive condition, ruling that existing medical evaluations are sufficient to assess the necessity of his continued detention. In a decision dated Jan. 7, ICC Pre-Trial Chamber 1 said three court-appointed independent experts had already submitted …
Read More »China thanks PCG for aiding electrocuted crew in Basilan Strait
The Chinese Embassy in Manila on Thursday expressed its appreciation to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) for providing prompt medical assistance to a Chinese national who was electrocuted while transiting the Basilan Strait. In a social media post, Embassy Deputy Spokesperson Guo Wei commended the PCG for its swift response to the emergency. “Sincere thanks to PCG for extending timely …
Read More »Priests, religious brother among 2025 Bar passers
At least 10 Catholic priests and a religious brother are among those who successfully passed the 2025 Bar Examinations. According to a report posted Thursday by CBCP News, the newly minted lawyer-priests include Fr. Mcwellroe Bringas of Tagum City; Fr. Marcelo Operiano Jr. of Tagbilaran City; Fr. Danilo Dela Bajan of Masbate; Fr. Eric Marigondon of Legazpi; Fr. Gerald Lacson …
Read More »Remulla orders probe vs. false news on his health
Ombudsman Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla has directed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to identify those behind what he described as an organized effort to spread malicious social media posts questioning his health. Speaking at a press conference, Remulla said the false claims appear to be part of a coordinated political attack. “There’s really an orchestrated campaign. I don’t know …
Read More »Wawao Builders owner facing tax raps over ghost projects in Bulacan
In line with the Marcos administration’s whole-of-government drive against corruption in public infrastructure, the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) on Thursday filed criminal complaints with the Department of Justice (DOJ) against Mark Allan Villamor Arevalo, sole proprietor of Wawao Builders. The charges stem from an estimated ₱48.39 million tax deficiency linked to an alleged ghost flood-control project undertaken by Wawao …
Read More »Customs exec in hot water for alleged smuggling activities
Bureau of Customs (BOC) Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno has ordered an investigation into allegations that smuggling activities have resurfaced at the Port of Manila. In a statement, Nepomuceno said Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service (CIIS) field station chief Paul Oliver Pacunayen has been relieved from his post pending the outcome of the probe. “We will act and investigate all complaints and …
Read More »
The Market Monitor Minding the Nation's Business