“Resilience Is Not a Virtue—It’s a Symptom of Neglect” -Brillante Ma. Mendoza

They’ve been saying it for decades—Filipinos are resilient. Like it’s something to celebrate. Like surviving one tragedy after another is a mark of pride. But no. Resilience isn’t a virtue anymore. It’s a wound we’ve learned to hide. It’s what happens when you’ve run out of choices. ​I’ve lived long enough to see it—president after president, from the stories of …

Read More »

BIFAN head talks about AI and the future of filmmaking

Shin Chul, Executive Director of the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN), participated as a panelist in the international conference “AI and the Future of Filmmaking,” co-hosted by the Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia (SSFF & ASIA)—the largest short film festival in Asia—and Japan’s Agency for Cultural Affairs. During the session, he presented key agendas on the present and …

Read More »

World-class artists set the stage for Intramuros Evenings: La Voix Humaine

The Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) and the Intramuros Administration (IA) team up for another night of artistic bliss for the third installation of Intramuros Evenings, featuring Francis Poulenc’s “Aubade Concerto” and “La Voix Humaine” (The Human Voice) on November 12, 2025, 7 p.m. at Centro de Turismo in Intramuros, Manila. Originally conceived as a ballet, “Aubade” as a piece …

Read More »

Cebu drowns in deluge

By Jesse C. Ong A torrent of unprecedented flooding swept through Cebu City and neighboring towns last week as Typhoon Tino (international name Kalmaegi) unleashed record rains that caught residents off guard and left widespread devastation in its wake. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that Cebu bore the brunt of the storm, with 71 of …

Read More »

Marcos orders swift relief efforts for typhoon victims

Following the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., government agencies have mobilized quickly to provide relief and support to communities devastated by Typhoon *Tino*. Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the administration’s coordinated response ensured that aid reached affected residents without delay. “Mabilisang rumesponde ang lahat ng ahensya sa ilalim ng administrasyon ni …

Read More »

Metro mayors unite to tackle flooding in the capital

In a rare show of unity, the 17 mayors of Metro Manila have agreed to work hand in hand to confront one of the capital’s biggest and most persistent challenges—severe flooding. During a recent meeting of the Metropolitan Manila Mayor’s Council (MMMC), the local chief executives reached a unanimous decision to coordinate their flood control and clean-up efforts across city …

Read More »

ICI recommends graft raps vs. former DPWH officials

The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has recommended the filing of graft and other criminal charges against several former officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in connection with a ₱72-million ghost flood control project in Bulacan. In its interim report, the ICI identified former DPWH secretary Manuel Bonoan, undersecretaries Roberto Bernardo and Maria Catalina Cabral, and …

Read More »

Comelec summons 27 Contractors over 2022 campaign donations

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has issued show cause orders (SCOs) against 27 construction firms found to have allegedly contributed to the campaign funds of politicians during the May 2022 national and local elections. Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said the orders were sent out Monday last week, directing the contractors to explain within 10 days why they should not face …

Read More »

PNP on full alert for massive INC rally at Rizal Park

Police forces across Metro Manila will be placed on the highest security alert status as the Iglesia Ni Cristo (INC) stages a massive three-day protest rally at Rizal Park in Manila starting November 16, the Philippine National Police (PNP) announced Wednesday. Nearly 10,000 personnel from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) will be deployed to secure the area. The …

Read More »

P760-M aid to be released to typhoon-hit LGUs

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has ordered the release of ₱760 million in financial assistance to local government units (LGUs) severely affected by Typhoon Tino (international name *Kalmaegi*), Malacañang announced Thursday. Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the funds, sourced from the Office of the President, aim to help LGUs speed up recovery efforts and provide immediate relief to families …

Read More »