The Department of Agriculture has filed criminal and administrative complaints before the Office of the Ombudsman against officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways and private contractors over alleged “ghost” farm-to-market road projects in Davao Occidental worth ₱94 million.
Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. on Thursday confirmed the filing of eight separate complaints following a seven-month investigation into multiple infrastructure projects that were supposedly paid for but never implemented.
Among those named were DPWH Davao Occidental District Engineer Rodrigo Larete, several project and finance officials, and a private contractor allegedly involved in the execution and certification of the projects.
The charges include violations such as graft and corruption, malversation, falsification of public documents, grave misconduct, and serious dishonesty.
One of the core allegations centers on a ₱11.94 million farm-to-market road project in Barangay Caburan, Jose Abad Santos, which investigators said was fully paid despite no actual construction work being done.
Officials allegedly submitted falsified documents—including Statements of Work Accomplished, Certificates of Payment, and Disbursement Vouchers—to make it appear that the projects had been completed.
In a press briefing, Tiu Laurel said the evidence gathered was substantial and built over months of validation and field inspection.
“They can get good lawyers. So, we really have to prepare a case. Ngayon, nandito tayo after pitong buwan, I can say na medyo maganda at solid lahat ng ebidensya, solid ang lahat ng kaso (Now, we’re here after seven months, I can say that somehow, we have good and solid evidence, all of the cases are solid),” he said.
He said the supposed farm-to-market roads—planned as early as 2021—would have significantly helped farmers reduce transport costs and improve access to markets.
“Matagal na nilang hinihintay ‘yung farm-to-market road na matagal nang napangako sa kanila (Farmers have been waiting for these FMRs, which have long been promised to them),” he added.
“Makakatulong talaga ito sa cost nila, logistics, pati ginhawa at oras, dahil ang oras ay hindi natin mapapalitan (It could have helped them in their logistic costs, the convenience, and time, because we cannot bring back time).”
Tiu Laurel also said field validation confirmed that at least one project site had no completed infrastructure, only an existing dirt road passable to tricycles.
“Wala talaga, zero, wala kang makita… pero walang semento, walang bakal, wala lahat (There’s nothing there… no cement, no steel, nothing),” he said.
Separate complaints were also filed against Masulot Construction over another ₱11.92 million project in the same municipality, also allegedly certified as completed despite no actual construction.
Additional cases cover multiple farm-to-market road projects across several barangays in Davao Occidental, with contract values ranging from ₱10 million to nearly ₱15 million each. Investigators said similar patterns of falsified progress reports and payment documents were used across the projects.
The DA said more cases are being prepared, including additional projects in Davao Occidental and other regions such as Albay, where similar “ghost project” allegations were also discovered.
Tiu Laurel warned that accountability may also extend to government personnel if involvement is established.
“Kung hindi sila mag-cooperate, yayariin din namin sila (If they will not cooperate, we will also go after them),” he said.
According to the DA, out of 1,241 validated farm-to-market road projects nationwide, 20 were found not implemented based on internal audit findings.
The agency oversees billions in FMR funding, with thousands of projects implemented nationwide from 2021 to 2026 under its infrastructure program.
The Market Monitor Minding the Nation's Business