The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) signed a landmark memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) and Lloyd’s Register One Ocean (LROO) to launch a pilot project exploring a system interface with MARINA Integrated Seafarers Management Online (MISMO) System. Signed during the Philippine-hosted cocktail reception at the 11th session of the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Sub-Committee on …
Read More »The showbiz side of Heidi Mendoza
by Boy Villasanta Many are familiar with her as the former commissioner of the Commission on Audit (COA) and a principled, feisty, courageous and grounded whistle-blower against erring, brazen and corrupt public servants and politicians during her testimonies at the Senate hearings. But Heidi Mendoza has another facet of her public life not known to many—show business. Aside from the …
Read More »Madz’ tenor participates in Valentine show in London
by Boy Villasanta However virtual and physically in absentia, a Filipino participation in a special Valentine concert in the United Kingdom is a cherished one. Nikko Oliver Villanueva, a tenor of the Philippine Madrigal Singers, popularly known as Madz, is a major virtual participant in a Valentine show billed “What I Did for Love?” featuring Sinag Himig Chorale in London …
Read More »Philmar Alipayo after reconciliation with Andi Eigenmann, what?
by Boy Villasanta After an online feud, professional surfer and sportsman Philmar Alipayo has reconciled with actress Andi Eigenmann. “It went all way too far and should have been handled in private,” said Philmar in an online note. “Ok na kami sanan (We are alright),” Alipayo quipped in his Facebook wall posted with a reel on him, Andi and kids Koa …
Read More »Batang Pier, Tropang Giga book tickets to the semis
By Robert Andaya Win once and you’re in the semis. Top seed NorthPort Batang Pier and No. 2 seed TNT Tropang Giga did just that as they made short work of their respective quarterfinal opponents to advance to the next round of the PBA Commissioner’s Cup. The Batang Pier escaped Magnolia Chicken Timplados’ late rally, 113-110, while the Tropang Giga …
Read More »Davao City’s Toyomoto Auto Supply win back-to-back NBTC Mindanao Regional crowns
Davao City kept its stranglehold of the pinnacle down south as Toyomoto Auto Supply repeated as victors in the 2025 Smart-NBTC Mindanao Regional Championship, warding off Notre Dame of Midsayap Rams, 84-63, Sunday at the brand new Oroquieta City Bayfront Arena in Misamis Occidental. Karlo Caezar Estomo kickstarted the blowout, firing seven of his game-high 32 points in a blazing …
Read More »Zoos Tokyo still Manila Hustle 3×3 champs
Zoos Tokyo proved that it still owns the peak after ruling Manila Hustle 3×3 Season 3 on Sunday at SM Mall of Asia Music Hall. With Most Valuable Player Ama Degbeon leading the way, the Japanese club got the better of Panthers 3×3, 17-13, to emerge as back-to-back champions in the Philippine women’s 3×3 international invitational co-presented by Uratex, Smart, …
Read More »Bulacan raid yields P43-M worth of illegal electronics
Operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) confiscated P43.36 million worth of electronics in Meycauayan, Bulacan, as part of the government’s crackdown on illegal manufacturing and distribution of consumer goods. CIDG chief Brig. Gen. Nicolas Torre III said in a statement last week that the operation, dubbed Oplan Megashopper, was carried out on February 5 with a search …
Read More »Sara impeachment won’t hurt economy, says Marcos
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. dismissed concerns that the impeachment of Vice President Sara Duterte would negatively affect the Philippine economy. “I doubt it very much,” Marcos said when asked last week about the government’s preparedness for any economic repercussions from the proceedings. “Wala naman akong nakikitang magiging effect na ganon,” he added, emphasizing that the administration remains committed to …
Read More »Palace optimistic on continued US funding despite foreign aid freeze
President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. remained optimistic about the future of US assistance to the Philippines despite the recent freeze on foreign aid ordered by President Donald Trump. While he declined to comment on the issue for now, Marcos emphasized Washington’s reaffirmed commitment to Manila, citing US Secretary of State Marco Antonio Rubio’s reference to their “ironclad alliance.” Budget Secretary …
Read More »
The Market Monitor Minding the Nation's Business